Monday, April 22, 2013

Comics!

Growing up I had little experience with comics. In fact, I had more experience with the characters themselves. I used to live and breathe Batman the animated series. Looking back, I'm surprised I never got into American comics sooner...especially with my love for Batman and the Justice League.

Honestly, my first experience with graphic novels was with Manga. I was in seventh grade at the time, and began reading series like Fruits Baskets, Saiyuki, Bleach and Yu-Yu Hakusho. They are still some of my favorite series to this day, having been a big influence on my art at the time. I'm not sure what it is about anime and manga, but it sure seems to influence a lot of people in middle school. I know there are some people who look down on manga and anime, but I still really enjoy it. I started reading some DC comics when I became a freshman here at Ringling. Since then, my comic collection has been growing!



In these past few years, I've began to see how vast of a medium comics have become. They are no longer contained by a few pages in thin paper books. They have grown and expanded into hardcover novels and exploded into different mediums like television, movies, games and the web comics!

Speaking of webcomics, they are my current addiction. They are easy to read, and can incorporate all different elements like animation and music! I truly believe that this will be the next big platform for the comic industry. I'm sure there are people pushing to get comics app friendly, but for now the internet is the best place for both new and professional comic artists.

Here is a taste from some of the successful web comics of the past few years:

xkcd
Homestuck
Nimona

No comments:

Post a Comment